MEIA Education Foundation Scholarship 2009 Awards
Maine Innkeepers Association Education Foundation Announces Scholarship Recipients for 2009
Maine Innkeepers will award ten scholarships to Maine students at Tees & Textbooks Event
Freeport, ME – May 11, 2009 – The Maine Innkeepers Association Education Foundation, affiliated with the Maine Innkeepers Association (MEIA) has named recipients of their 2009 Hospitality Scholarship Awards announced Greg Dugal, Executive Director at MEIA. Ten Maine students will be awarded scholarships at a gala dinner at Fisherman’s Wharf Inn, Boothbay Harbor on June 8th as part of MEIA’s 5th annual Tees & Textbooks event.
The scholarship program, created in 1984 to inspire and support Maine students pursuing careers in hospitality, has awarded over $125,000 to 219 students. This year the following ten Maine students will be presented with scholarships totally $8000.
• Belinda Place, attending Thomas College, Waterville, ME. Charles Samelson Award ($1000), sponsored by Dirigo Stitching & Harold Samelson.
• Wade Wakefield of Unity, attending Thomas College, Waterville, ME. Ed Langlois Award
($1000), sponsored by Sebasco Harbor Resort.
• Kristin Jones of Holden, attending University of New Hampshire, Durham NH. Women in Hospitality Award, ($2000) - sponsored by Nancy Gray, Maureen McQuade, Kathryn Weare, Jean Ginn Marvin.
• Elise Perkins of Auburn, attending Endicott College of Beverly MA. Charlie Keegan Award ($500) - sponsored by Turkish Towels.
• Elizabeth McFarland of Rockland, attending Husson University, Bangor ME. Jedediah Scott Award ($500) – sponsored by Peter Daigle of Lafayette Hotels.
• Jordan McLaughlin of Medway, attending Southern Maine Community College,
S. Portland, ME.- Dennis Johnston Award ($500)- sponsored by Colonial Surveying.
• Noelle Beck, of Waldoboro, attending Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, IL.- John O’Keeffe Award ($500) sponsored by Fisherman’s Wharf.
• Jackson McLaughlin of Greenville, attending University of Maine, Orono, ME,.- Harold Nelson & Irving Small Award ($500) sponsored by Nelson & Small, Inc.
• Chad Westleigh of Poland, attending Johnson & Wales University, RI- Ed & Fay Carpenter Award ($1000) sponsored by Friends & Family Members & Carrabasset Coffee.
• Kristina Quirion of Waterville, attending Thomas College, Waterville, ME.- Larry Mahaney Award- ($ 500) sponsored by Holiday Inn, Waterville.
“Maine Innkeepers enjoy supporting the education of these exceptional local students,” said Dugal. “Hospitality offers a variety of rewarding career opportunities to students with a broad range of skill sets. We hope these scholarships inspire students to continue an education in hospitality, which as part of the tourism industry, is the major economic driver for Maine.”
Scholarship presentations will be made after a social hour aboard the Harbor Princess in Boothbay Harbor, starting at 5:00 PM sponsored by New England Coffee Company. A gala awards dinner with music by Tony Boffa will follow at Fisherman’s Wharf Inn at 6:30PM sponsored by Daigle Commercial Group and Turner Barker Insurance. Tickets are available for $55 per person and all proceeds benefit the Maine Innkeeper’s Association Education Foundation, a 501c3 charity. For more information, please call Julie Campbell at 207-865-6100 or email@example.com On June 8th the 15th Annual Maine Innkeepers Association Hospitality Golf Classic will be held at the Boothbay Country Club with a shotgun start at 9:00AM.
Scholarship awards are made to Maine students enrolled at fully accredited schools with specialties in culinary arts or hotel administration including hospitality schools in the State University System, private Universities or Colleges, and Maine Community College Systems. Scholarships are awarded after review by a selection committee who consider scholastic records, financial need, extra curricular activities and a desire to work in hospitality. Non- hospitality awards may also be available to employees and their families or family members of innkeepers.
About the Maine Innkeepers Association
The Maine Innkeepers Association, a leading provider of tourism information to both Maine’s lodging industry and its visitors, represents nearly 700 B&Bs, camps, cottages, hotels, inns, motels and resorts across Maine, and their suppliers. Through communication, education, promotion and government affairs, the Association helps its members achieve prosperity and deliver a quality product to the consumer. Maine Innkeepers Association is located in Freeport, ME and can also be found at www.maineinns.com